Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Pulled Pork Turnovers

I find when I make pulled pork, I can never make a small quantity and there are always mass leftovers.  These leftovers never seem to be used up in a timely way, so I always end up tossing them into the freezer.  I was cleaning out my freezer before Christmas and found a forgotten about container of pulled pork leftovers and thought to myself, "How will I get Grayson to eat this?"  He really likes being able to pick up his food instead of needing a fork or spoon, so I thought making them into a turnover might just work.  Well... it didn't work, Grayson wouldn't even try them... but Mike and I sure enjoyed them!
Pulled Pork Turnovers

Pulled Pork Turnovers
1 roll of puff pastry, thawed in the fridge overnight
2 cups leftover pulled pork
1 cup grated cheddar
1 egg
1 TSP sour cream or cream or milk

Roll out puff pastry, cutting into 6 triangles.  Place 2-3 TBSP pulled pork on each puff pastry triangle and top with a sprinkle of grated cheese.  Fold the edges of the puff pastry over to make a triangle, making sure it's sealed tightly. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet (or non-stick tin-foil or even just a greased baking sheet) and slice a couple of vent holes in the top of each, allowing for steam release.  Beat the egg and cream together and brush the egg wash over the top of the turnovers.  Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until nicely browned.  

Tip:  Because I was using left over pulled pork that had been frozen, my pulled pork was quite watery.  I found the best results if I let the pork drain a bit and squeezed some of the excess moisture out.  


No comments:

Post a Comment