Thursday, June 3, 2010

Black Bean Chicken Quesadilla

I used to have an old quesadilla recipe that called for antipasto. Well, that's expensive and I use it so seldom that I would usually end up throwing out most of a jar. Tonight, I came up with a bit different recipe. We had some left over chicken breasts in the fridge, so I thought this was a perfect way to use them up! Also, I've never actually cooked with black beans before so it was a good excuse to try them (and get that can out of my cupboard!) I used some flavor inspirations from an earlier post of chile lime chicken, of which I got the recipe from Amanda Pokentickle. Mike absolutely loved these! And it was soft and easy to chew as he had his wisdom teeth out a few days ago!

Black Bean Chicken Quesadilla
two cooked chicken breasts, cut up into bite site pieces
1/2 can black beans, strained and rinsed
1/2 can corn
1 large tomato, seeds removed
1/2 tsp chipotle chile seasoning (VE seasoning)
1 TBSP chile powder (I use lots since my stock is old)
a few squirts of lime juice
1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey jack
four large whole wheat tortilla's

Mix all ingredients together, except for the cheese and shells. Microwave for 2 minutes. On a large greased baking dish, place tortilla down, spread a bit of cheese on 1/2, then add filling, and top with more grated cheese, folding the other half over to cover. Repeat with remaining tortilla's. Bake in 400 degree oven for 5-10 min. Turn the broiler on for a couple minutes to brown the top.

** I added about 1/2 tsp lime juice, next time I'd add double this as you couldn't really taste it at all.
*** You can mix up a double recipe, omitting the tomato, and freeze the other half so you have another meal ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment