Monday, February 7, 2011

Pumpkin Dessert Squares

This is a recipe from Mike's Aunt Pearl's cookbook. Lots of yummy recipes in here and this pumpkin dessert is one of our favorite! We get a kick out of some of Aunt Pearls recipes as they are enough to feed a football team! Her monster cookie recipe has 18 cups of rolled oats and 3lbs of peanut butter in it!!! But when you have a big family, you want a recipe that yields 5 ice cream pails full!! I love any cookie that has a pound of M&Ms in it! This recipe for pumpkin squares is so easy and it makes a 9x13 pan so no fear, you won't have to add 12 eggs or a pound of margarine or anything crazy like that! I buy canned pumpkin after Thanksgiving once it goes on sale! I made this for the superbowl party yesterday, along with my favorite Chili Dip (see previous posts).

Aunt Pearls Pumpkin Dessert
4 cups pumpkin
1 can canned milk (Alpha 2%)
4 eggs
2 tsp ginger (or less)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups white sugar (I usually use 1 1/2 cups)

Beat eggs well. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat all together well. Pour into a 9x13 pan (not glass). Sprinkle 1 box of dry butter pecan cake mix all over the pumpkin mixture. Then cut very thinly 3/4 cup of hard margarine. Lay all over the cake mix. (I melted this and spread it on). Optional: Sprinkle one cup of chopped pecans or walnuts. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Serve with whipped cream or cool whip.

I had to add an extra 15 minutes in my oven till the toothpick came out clean! I also only had 3 eggs and crossed my fingers and it turned out fine. The filling was just a little less firm.


No comments:

Post a Comment