Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Shepherd's Pie

I absolutely LOVE Shepherd's Pie. I always wondered why my mom never made it when we were growing up, but she did! We just called it something different! I think we just called it something super original like casserole or even hamburger casserole! I found a really easy way of making it too... by using a spice mix! Club house actually has a delicious mix of pre-blended spices called, you guessed it, Shepherd's Pie. I have made it from scratch as well, which I prefer, but using a spice mix is so quick and easy with no thinking involved that I definitely had to mention it. I've been looking through cookbooks trying to find the perfect recipe but ended up combining about 5 or so different recipes to make my own:

Shepherd's Pie
1-1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
large chopped onion
a couple garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup water
2 cups beef broth
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp rosemary
2 TBSP ketchup
2 tsps Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups frozen or canned veggies such as peas, carrots, corn, etc.
4 cups leftover mashed potatoes.
1 cup grated cheese

Brown beef and onion. (I strain and rinse with hot water after it's fully cooked, then return to the pan). Add garlic. Mix flour with water, then stir in to the beef, then add the rest of the ingredients except potatoes and cheese. Simmer for about 15-20 min until everything is nice and thick. Remove the bay leaf and pour into a 9x13, top with mashed potatoes, sprinkle cheese on top and bake for 30 min in 400 degree oven. I turn it on broil for an extra 3 or so minutes until everything is nice and browned on top. *Watch closely as burns quickly!!*

No comments:

Post a Comment