Saturday, September 18, 2010

More Dips!

So I've been making the same dips over and over so I decided to try some new ones. Wasn't too sure how they'd go over as Mike and I are both hot ooey gooey cheesey dip lovers and these were well.. cold. They turned out not too bad at all actually, with most people giving great reviews of them.

BLT II Dip
This dip is just as it sounds - a BLT made into a dip. I got the recipe from allrecipes.com and you can follow the link to the recipe here. I used premade real bacon bits instead of frying up my own and the low fat versions of the sour cream and mayo. I added in half a packet of some ranch powder as suggested in the comments section on allrecipes.com and topped with some finely chopped lettuce around the outside for decoration and topped it with some fresh chopped tomato and more bacon bits. I think the trick with this recipe is letting it sit over night so the flavors can all blend together. My dip sat for about 4 hours and next time I'd let it sit longer, even though everyone could easily identify the dip as BLT dip by taste.

Seven Layer Taco Dip
I also found this dip on allrecipes.com and you can find the link to the recipe here. This dip was super easy but I think it would be better warm. I actually made this into a 6 layer dip as I omitted the olives on top, but still think it turned out pretty good. I mixed a half package of taco seasoning into the refried beans and into the sour cream and cream cheese mixture. This is a very hearty dip that is quite filling. You can adjust the spice up or down a few notches by the amount of taco seasoning you add and you could also add jalapeƱo peppers. Next time, I'd either totally omit the shredded lettuce or add it after baking it for 20-3o minutes to get everything nice and ooey gooey and cheesey.
Both dips were really easy to make and I think I'd make the taco dip again before I made the BLT dip. It's getting colder out and I think hot dips are where it's at for winter! The BLT dip would be more appropriate for summer and you could use fresh veggies to dip into it. Let me know what you think of them if you make any of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment