Monday, March 22, 2010

Tourtiere

Being from French-Canadian descent, I've grown up with tourtiere, also known as meat pie. It always reminds me of Christmas and I love it. Why am I posting it mid-March? Because it's super easy, delicious, and you will thank me, that's why. This can be served with gravy or ketchup, but I like it plain. This moves away from the more traditional recipe that I'm used to with a variation in the spices and in the meats used, but I found it delicious, full of flavor and quite moist. I can't quite remember where exactly I got this recipe from but it was floating around in cyber-space sometime last November. And of course, I use pre-made pie dough, I mean who has that kind of time?

Tourtiere
1 onion chopped
1 TBSP margarine
1 lb ground pork
1 stalk celery chopped
1 tsp garlic, minced
3/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
2 TBSP dry bread crumbs

Cook onions, celery and garlic in the margarine until onions are clear. Add the ground pork, break it up in the pan and cook until changes color. Add the chicken stock and spices and simmer for half an hour. Cool, take out the bay leaf, and stir in the bread crumbs.

Add pork mixture to pie shell, cover with pie top. Press edges together with a little bit of warm water to help them seal together. Brush dough with egg glaze (1 egg, beaten, with 2 tbsp cream).
This makes any crust look and taste great!

Bake at 425 deg F for 10 min, then reduce heat to 375 and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until crust is golden. YUMM!

No comments:

Post a Comment