Monday, March 1, 2010

Chicken Phyllo stuffed with Spinach & Feta, topped with herbed Sabayon

Alright, so I tallied up all the votes, including one being my own. So thank you to those three faithful readers for submitting your vote! I ended up going with the Chicken Phyllo and it was absolutely delicious! I ended up stuffing it with my all time favorite mixture, Spanikopita! Topped it with this 'Herbed Sabayon', which was absolutely delicious and served it with wild rice, some mixed veggies, and a yummy Mandarin Raspberry Salad. My mom wanted to make sure I included that "it was a hit." haha - thanks Mom! :) I altered a recipe that I found on the Canadian Living website to more suit our tastes! This was my first time working with phyllo pastry and admittedly, these took a long time to prepare. My phyllo wasn't 100% thawed when I tried to use it, which lead me to a lot of frustration! But eventually it all came together and it was well worth it!

Chicken Phyllo Stuffed with Spinach & Feta and topped with Herbed Sabayon
4 large chicken breasts, cut in 1/2 (or 8 small/med ones), butterflied so they open like a pamphlet or sliced in the middle so they open like a book.
16 sheets phyllo pastry
3/4 cup butter/marg melted

Stuffing Mixture:
3 cups fresh spinach, chopped or 1/2 pkg frozen
1/3 cup feta cheese
1/3 cup cream cheese
1/3 cup mayo
1/2 - 1 tsp garlic, crushed
1/3 cup cooked bacon, chopped (I use Oscar Mayer Real Bacon Bits)

Herbed Sabayon
4 egg yolks
3 TSBP Chicken Stock
2 TBSP dry vermouth
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 TBSP chopped fresh basil
2 TBSP chopped fresh oregano or fresh thyme
1 TBSP lemon juice
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper

Defrost phyllo pastry overnight in fridge or for a few hours on the counter.

Mix together your stuffing mixture.

**While working with phyllo sheets, cover with a damp cloth so they don't dry out.** Place one sheet on the counter, brush with butter, top with second sheet, brush with butter again. Place chicken near one of the edges (left or right), add stuffing mixture and fold chicken over to cover stuffing. Fold sides over and roll up. Place seam side down on a greased rimmed pan. Brush top with butter. Repeat with remaining chicken. (You can put this in the fridge with saran wrap for up to 8 hours ahead).

Bake at 350 deg F for 45 minutes until phyllo is golden and chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.

Herbed Sabayon
In the top of a double boiler (or I just use a glass mixing bowl on top of a regular pot of boiling water), whisk the egg yolks until they are light in color, whisk in the stock and vermouth (you can use white wine or extra chicken stock if you don't have). Place on stove over simmering water and whisk until it's nice and thick. Whisk in the herbs (I only had fresh parsley so used dried spices for the others), lemon juice and S&P. If too thick to spread, add a little more chicken stock to thin it out. Serve over the chicken phyllo bundles.


3 comments:

  1. Nice work Shawna! I was going to vote on your poll...I read all the choices and thought to myself I have no idea what half of these things are so I figured my vote may not even be warranted! Next time I'll pick something but keep in mind I will likely have just closed my eyes and clicked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the fantastic meal! The time spent to prepare this was well worth it. It's not everyday you get a 45 dollar meal for free. Dessert was great too! Ha Ha!
    Love Momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm....this looks amazing! I am going to try to vegetarian-ize it using a fake chicken breast...I will let you know how it goes. Great blog, lovely! xox

    ReplyDelete