Friday, February 19, 2010

Sweet Potato Pie

To be honest, I had never considered, let alone tasted a sweet potato until I was down in Texas last March. What I mean is, the thought didn't even cross my mind. It was like one of those things that was from a mythical childhood story book. I was as likely to have eaten a sweet potato as I was as likely to have eaten my curds and weigh and had a spider sit down beside me. However, that all changed when I ordered a baked sweet potato when I was visiting Mike in Dallas. Then once I started, I couldn't stop.Add Image

When I found out that sweet potatoes were healthier than regular potatoes, I could've thrown a party! Not only do they have more vitamins, minerals, and fiber, but they are rich in antioxidants as well as having a lower glycemic index than regular potatoes. Plus that bright rich orange color is captivating, isn't it?? AND on my p90x diet I was on, I could eat lots of sweet potatoes but very little regular potatoes. Although, I doubt Tony Horton would very much approve of this recipe...

Sweet Potato Pie
3 cups cooked sweet potatoes, mashed (I use one extra lg s.p., cut it up in about 6 pieces (skin on), pierce the skin in a few places, and microwave it for about 10 min. To remove the skin after cooking is super easy - just gently slide a knife or TBSP under the peel and it loosens in a jiffy).
1/2 cup undiluted evaporated milk or 35% cream (I use partially skim evap milk)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 to 1 cup brown sugar
dash of salt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice. (Or if you don't have this, add 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, and 1/2 tsp ginger)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 to 1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup sour cream

*Adjust the sugar to the sweetness you like

Now, whip all the above ingredients together. Should be nice and stiff, if you need to thicken it you can add more sweet potatoes or a little flour; to thin it, add more evap milk.

Pour the mixture into a pie shell (I cheat and use bought pie dough - Add Videocan't get easier than unrolling the Pillsbury stuff out of a tube).

Bake at 425 deg F for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 35 and bake for about 50 minutes longer or until tested and toothpick/knife comes out clean.

Serve with cool whip :)Add Image

Not sure where Mike found this recipe, but we've had it for a while and I just tried it last night! The mixture wasn't very smooth, with lots of little lumps of sweet potato as I mixed everything by hand. Next time I'd use either my kitchenaid or my food processor to get a smoother mixture. Still turned out perfect either way, just a lot more work to do it the manual way!

3 comments:

  1. This was freaking delicious! Anybody making this recipe has to give a commission of 10% of the pie to us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if I'm not selling the pie? Does this mean I have to give you 10% of the pie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I meant that I want 10% of the pie. I don't care about the money.... it's my stomach that wants the 10%!

    ReplyDelete