Thursday, February 25, 2010

Vatrushky (Ukrainian Cheese Tarts)

So way back when I was living in that house full of grad students, one of my housemates, Sarah, found this absolutely delish recipe for Ukrainian Cheese Tarts. I believe she was going to a Ukrainian themed pot-luck, but that's besides the point. On second thought --yumm, I should look into holding one of those! Anyhow, with some coaxing, she shared the recipe with me and now I can enjoy them any way I want. This tart is actually the inspiration for my blog name!

Vatrushky
1 cup butter
1 cup + 1 TBSP sour cream
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup cottage cheese
2 eggs

1) Dough: chop butter and flour together until well crumbled. Mix salt with sour cream, then add to flour and butter mixture. Quickly knead the dough and place in fridge for 10-15 min.

2) Filling: Mix cottage cheese and remaining 1 TBSP sour cream. Add one beaten egg along with a dash of salt (NOTE: At this stage you can also add any other seasonings - dill, cayenne, pepper, etc.)

3) Once dough is chilled, roll out to about 1/2 cm thick and cut out circles from the dough with the rim of a floured glass. Line a tart pan with dough circles. Add filling to each tart until just level with pan rim (don't go above pastry edges). Beat the remaining egg and brush this on top of each cheese tart.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 min or until tarts are slightly reddish in color.

**The dough can be kind of finicky, but well worth it!!

1 comment:

  1. I am intrigued by this recipe, but also intrigued by the possibility of a Ukrainian pot luck!! YUM!!

    p.s. Once you put it out there, Shawna, you can't take it back ;)

    ReplyDelete