Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Barbecued Sweet Potato Fries!

Is everyone as pumped as I am that BBQ season has started??? Food just tastes better BBQ'd. I didn't make the rules, I just follow them. When I was cooking some burgers last weekend, I thought well what goes with burgers? Fries of course, silly. That answer was obvious. Looking at my potato bin (which is really a grocery bag with a few scraggles of last years potatoes, with their gross sprouting tentacles growing through the bag), I decided to use some nice fresh sweet potatoes (aka yams - I've grown tired with this debate, now I consider these vegetables interchangeable in name, even though I know they're not). Anyways, on that hot spring day, I made up some delicious burgs with sweet potato fries on the BBQ and they turned out delicious! Perfectly soft on the inside, with a nice crispy outside.

BBQ'd Sweet Potato Fries
Chop up 1 large sweet potato into fries-looking pieces, put them in a microwavable bowl.
Mix some olive oil into it (a couple twirls around the bowl full of fries).
Add generous amounts of seasoning salt, garlic powder, pepper, and a few sprinkles of thyme.
Add 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Mix all this well, and pop it in the microwave for 7-10 minutes until fries are pretty well cooked.
Toss them into a grill basket (so you don't lose any through the grate) and place on the BBQ. Grill over low heat, stirring frequently so they don't get too crispy!



Tip 1) These have oil in them, oil + flame = FIRE!!! Stir frequently to avoid charring and have some oven mitts handy to remove grill basket from BBQ if catches on fire.
Tip 2) Pour fries into grill basket and THEN place on grill, not the other way around. Flames will grow very tall and may even leave black smoky evidence on the mixing bowl you used to transfer them in. Significant other may question you about this at a later date and you will have to come up with some clever excuse. Just avoid this all together. Saves on arm hair too.

No comments:

Post a Comment