Sunday, April 3, 2011

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

This is another recipe I got from the 'Bun in the Oven' Shower. Camille made these and they are some of the best banana muffins I've ever had! They use apple sauce instead of oil and are so light and fluffy. My FIL was helping me in the kitchen today, and for those of you who don't know, he is a baker!! He gave me lots of tips on mixing, creaming sugar and eggs, baking and some really fun ways to fill the muffin tin. I made a mess but had a ton of fun. Camille and her fiance popped in and got to witness Barry flinging the batter into the paper cups in the muffin pan and then my attempt at doing the same. I did end up getting the hang of it after a while!! His biggest tip was to not be afraid to work with my hands and get dirty!

I'm going to be taking a cake decorating course, so he also showed me how to pipe the batter into the cups, just to practice! I'll be sure to post my homework for everyone to see. The course starts this week!

I made a double batch, one batch for my girlfriends shower on the weekend and one batch for me! My freezer is full and I love it.

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 eggs
1 cup applesauce
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups mashed bananas
1/2 cup chocolate chips or however much you want! (optional)

Grease 2 muffin tins (skip this step if you're using paper liners). Beat together sugar and eggs until creamy. Mix in apple sauce. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add slowly to creamed mixture. Mix in mashed bananas and chocolate chips if you want. Pour (or fling if you're so inclined) into muffin tins or paper liners and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Makes 2 dozen.

To tell if they are done, gently press down on the muffin top and if it springs back up, they're ready! If they don't spring, they need more time.

I've never actually creamed the sugar and eggs for as long as I was supposed to EVER, but my FIL showed me how to tell when it's ready - you taste the mixture and if you can taste the grainy sugar, it's not ready yet. This will take less than 10 minutes. Don't over beat or else you'll break down the sugar.

1 comment:

  1. I have used apple sauce instead of oil in muffins too!!! So tasty!!! These muffins look yummy!

    ReplyDelete