Monday, April 25, 2011

Sol's Salmon

This winter we took a trip to Hawaii with our friends Sol and Brent.  The beach house we had rented had a charcoal barbecue and we cooked on it as often as we could.  Which, wasn't as often as we liked as it was such a production just to get it ready for cooking!  Mike's friend Jason (who he worked with when he was on a Hawaii project a few years ago) came over one evening for supper, bringing with him enough food to feed an army, including two huge fillets of salmon.  I was feeding Gray, so I'm not sure who prepared the salmon but I'm crediting Sol since he told me how he usually prepares it at home.  It was some of the most delicious salmon I've ever had!!  

I was at the grocery store the other day and saw some salmon marked down 30% for quick resale.  Since I didn't have anything on the menu for that nights supper, I pounced on it!  Using Sol's directions, I prepared it on the bbq and it turned out absolutely amazing.  Even the leftovers the next day were amazingly moist and juicy.  It was a real treat!  We served it with quinoa and broccoli!  YUMM!

Double portion of salmon - yummm!
Sol's Salmon
1 large salmon
olive oil
salt and pepper

Drizzle a little bit of olive oil over entire length of fillet, front and back.  Season with salt and pepper.  BBQ.  haha. It's seriously that easy.  I grilled it on the top rack, so it was away from the flame.  I cut it into a few pieces so flipping it would be easier.  I cooked it on med low and turned it once the edges started to look done - flaky and light pink, about six minutes.  I "squeezed" some lemon juice over the fillets while they were cooking too.  About six minutes on the other side as well and then I let it rest on a plate, covered with tin foil for about 10 minutes.  Mostly because Mike was in the middle of bathing Gray - haha.  But when you let meat rest before you cut into it, it lets the juices redistribute throughout so we'll say the same thing happens with salmon! :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment