Monday, April 11, 2011

Broccoli and Cheese Soup

Yay-- I just updated my settings to the new blog editor so hopefully I'll have better luck uploading some pics.  For some reason, it would flip some of my pics sideways (see cake decorating part 2 picture 1 for a prime example).  I'm hoping I will no longer have this problem!!

Okay so I just have to share this.  Last night my son slept EIGHT HOURS IN A ROW!!!! From 9 till 5! Fricken unbelievable!!  The extra sleep was definitely appreciated as I've been fighting off a cold for a couple days now and the rest definitely can't hurt!! Which leads me to this post -- what's better than soup when you're feeling down!

One of my favorite soups of all time is broccoli and cheese soup!  I've made several variations of this before, but this latest one is quick and easy.  I made it a couple weeks ago when my in-laws were up.  I had planned on BBQing burgers but our BBQ was stuck in the shed with a bunch of ice blocking the doors from opening.  So I improvised and made up a quick pot of soup.  My FIL informed me after he ate lunch that he really does not like broccoli, but he'd eat it any day if it always tasted like that!  (I'd say that was a definite HIT!)

Broccoli and Cheese Soup
4 cups broccoli florets, cut into small bite size pieces
1 grated carrot
1/2 onion, chopped
just enough water to cover

Boil above till broccoli very tender.  Mash everything with a  potato masher.  Then add:

1 can cream of chicken soup
2 TBSP fresh dill, or to taste
Pepper (no salt as I didn't use reduced sodium cream of chicken soup)

Whisk this all together in the pot.  Let simmer for about 10 minutes till everything's piping hot.  Then add:

1/3 cup Maclarens Imperial Sharp Cold Pack Cheddar, broken up into pieces so it melts faster.

Serve.  Top with grated cheese. yumm

*If you want a thicker soup, fry up the onions separately in a 1/3 cup butter, then add 1/3 cup flour and whisk together.  Cook for 2 minutes whisking constantly, and then slowly whisk your soup into this.  I just add crackers to thicken it up in the bowl - saves time and effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment