Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Cake Decorating Part 3



Last week we had to make two batches of icing and color each one a different color.  We also had to make six cupcakes to decorate.  The other week when I made my cake, I just made my cupcakes with the rest of the cake batter!  Saved some time!  I reallllly enjoyed last week, decorating cupcakes is so easy.  You just have to have the right tip on your piping bag and you can make those swirly cupcake tops like you see in the cupcake shops!  EASY!  The flowers were really fun to make too!  I hope I remember how to do this for this week, as it's our final project.  We have to come with our cake already iced, so we'll see how that goes!

Star Flower
Shaggy Mum
Things I learned this week:
  • how to fill a cupcake (filled it with vanilla pudding, yum)
  • how to make the pretty swirly top
  • how to make leaves
  • how to make a shell border
  • how to make star flowers
  • how to make pompom flowers
  • how to make shaggy mums (takes like 1/3 cup icing per cupcake!)
Miraculously, I didn't spend any more money to ad to my budget.  Bonus!  Clean up after still took like 45 minutes, but atleast I was able to get my piping bags clean on the first try this time.  Last week I rewashed them like three times, which really added to the total clean up time!!  This was my favorite week yet! 
PomPom Flower is middle right with two shades of blue icing on top of pink swirl
                                                 
My FIL gave me a bunch of icing, shortening, icing sugar, meringue powder, and piping gel!!  So that will greatly decrease the cost of cake decorating in the future!!  Up until now, I've only had to buy one 3-cup package of shortening, and it's lasted the whole course!! (plus the tub of icing I had to buy at the start).  Maybe I should be practicing more??

No comments:

Post a Comment