Monday, April 25, 2011

Scalloped Potatoes and Nalysnyky

We hosted Easter lunch this year, so I was able to cook for my family!  I really enjoyed planning the menu and finding the recipes that I was going to use.  I did what I consider a very traditional Easter meal of ham and scalloped potatoes.  I found a new scalloped potatoes recipe from Canadian Living that everyone seemed to like. I really liked the bread crumb topping - yumm!  We dove in too fast to take a 'before' pic, so here's an 'after' picture!  You can find the recipe here.  I think I ended up going with this recipe instead of others because it called for cider vinegar, which I had sitting in my pantry unopened for who knows how long!  I also used my Pampered Chef Mandolin to slice all the potatoes and onions and every time I use it I am amazed at how fast and easy it is!!


I tried a new recipe "Nalysnyky"(pronounced NAL-YES-Nah-Keh) for lunch yesterday too.  These are basically cheese filled crepes and they're smothered in butter.  Very rich, but you gotta try one or two :-).  I found the recipe for the Nalysnyky online but tweaked it to be my own.  I used the basic crepe recipe but changed the filling contents.  The original recipe can be found here, and I will post what I used for filling (in the Real Women of Philly way of course!!)

Nalysnyky with Dill Philly Cream Cheese
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
Beat eggs one at a time, then add the rest of the ingredients and mix until all the lumps are gone. (This'll make a very thin mixture).  Pour a ladle full into a greased pan - I sprayed pam in between each crepe.  Fry over medium heat for about a minute each.  Makes 8-12.  

Cheese filling
1/2 cup dill Philadelphia Cream cheese
1 cup cottage cheese
1 TBSP fresh dill

 Blend above in your mixer until well mixed.  Spoon two spoonfuls onto each crepe and spread to cover completely.  Roll the crepe up and slice it in half.  Line a casserole dish with tin foil and spoon a couple TBSP of melted butter in the bottom and layer the filled crepes on top, making sure to butter in between layers.  Bake at 350 for 30 min and then serve immediately.  

1 comment:

  1. Great meal! Keep 'em coming - they keep your readers happy and they keep my tummy happy!

    ReplyDelete